Eugene Huntington Ware was born in 1879 at Fort Scott, Kansas. Mary Jeannette Spencer was born in 1879 at Lawrence, Kansas. Both attended University of Kansas. They were married in 1904 after Gene finished law school.
In 1907 Gene became a partner in the law firm, Ware Nelson and Ware, with his father and brother-in-law, Ralph S. Nelson. Gene’s father died in 1911 and Ralph S. Nelson moved to Coeur d’Alene in 1910. So Gene decided to operate the family farm in Cherokee, Kansas.
The Wares moved to Coeur d’Alene in 1920 to join the Nelsons and many Kansas friends that had already made the move. Gene was associated with Ralph S. Nelson in the Lincoln Land Investment Company. He later owned the company which he operated in conjunction with the E. H. Ware Insurance Company. His office was at 104 N. Fourth Street.
Their Coeur d’Alene home was 814 Foster Street. They had a first-rate vegetable garden. They even grafted pears onto their back yard apple tree.
Mary and Gene had a cabin on Hayden Lake on North Lakeview Drive. It was a great joy to them and their children. For many years they were members of the Hayden Lake Country Club. Gene was a great fisherman and hunter. He was a member of the Killarny Duck Hunting Club on Killarny Lake.
Gene was also a member of the Coeur d’Alene Rotary Club, and in fact was the 1933 President. Gene was a strong enthusiast for Coeur d’Alene and the surrounding communities. Mary was involved in several social organization including The Art Study Club and Chapter AG of PEO. They had a very active social life revolving around their extended family and many close friends. They were very active in the First Presbyterian Church of Coeur d’Alene.
The Wares had three children: Jeannette Huntington Ware, Eugene Spencer Ware, and Mary Matilda Ware. Jeanette became a professor at Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Washington. Eugene married Beverly Wayne of Coeur d’Alene and was Deputy Attorney General for the State of Idaho. They had 5 sons. Mary married Jud Broderick of Coeur d’Alene. He was partner with his father in a local automobile agency, the Broderick Motor Company. They had one son.
Gene died in 1944, Mary died in 1946. They are buried in Forest Cemetery.