William Francis McNaughton was born in 1876 in Dunlop, Shelby County, Iowa, son of Findley J. and Malissa Washurn McNaughton. He a was raised on a farm, and at the urgings of his sister Louise Josephine, attended Woodbine Academy and later graduated from the University of Nebraska Law School in 1904. That same year he married Mamie Johnson of Harlan, IoWA Mamies parents had both immigrated from Denmark. Mamie was raised in Harlan with 3 sisters and a brother. Despite the death of her father when she was 7 years old, she completed high school and attended college in Ames, IoWA After marrying William, they moved to Sioux Falls to begin a law practice.
Daughter Marjorie was born in 1907.
William had sisters teaching school in Western, Montana and traveled out to visit them and on to the coast through Coeur d’Alene. When he discovered the county seat was being moved from Rathdrum to Coeur d’Alene, he decided this would be a good place to start a law practice. He moved his family to Coeur d’Alene in summer 1909. Their first home was on Hastings Avenue. To establish himself, he bought a bicycle and campaigned for prosecuting attorney. The election was lost but he began an association with John P. Gray, an attorney he would always admire. In August 1910 (during the great fire of 1910 and with embers falling on the roof of the house) daughter Josephine was born, followed by daughter Frances in 1913. The family moved to a beautiful home at627 Government Way in about 1915 (now Brown Romero Law Offices). Their 3 daughters were raised in this home and according to Josephine, this was the best place in the world to grow up. In 1920, William was appointed District Court Judge—a position the held until 1930. The new Kootenai County Courthouse was built in 1926, across the street from the McNaughton home (so Judge Mac could easily go home for lunch.) In 1930 he was appointed to the State Supreme Court and he, Mamie and daughter Frances moved to Boise. They sold he beloved home on Government Way. At the end of 1931, in the wake of FDR and a democratic landslide, he resigned from the court and returned to Coeur d’Alene at the request of his mentor John P. Gray. He joined John P. Gray as a partner in his law practice and in 1936 built a home near Gray’s at 1225 Ash Avenue.
William was active in Rotary, Masons, and a multitude of civic activies. He served many years on the both the State Board of Education and as a regent of the University of Idaho. His sense of humor and dry wit were loved, and he was legendary for his pipe smoking and ability to make perfect smoke rings. Mamie was an exceptional hostess. The McNaughtons, Elders, Nelsons, Wares, Barclays, Rosenberrys, Huntington Taylors, and Edmonds had monthly elegant dinner parties and a dance club. The families remained close friends thoughout their lifetimes. William died in 1965, and Mamie died in 1974.
Daughter Marjorie graduated from Coeur d’Alene High School and attended University of Idaho. She married Robert Greene of Lapawai, Idaho and resided in Moscow, Idaho where Bob was head of housing for the University of Idaho. They had two children Marilyn and William. William and his family continue to live in Moscow. Marilyn lives in Boise.
Josephine graduated from Coeur d’Alene High School in 1928, then attended the University of Washington. In 1932 she married Lynn M. Rogers of Boise, Idaho. Jo and Lynn spent some wonderful time at Riggins a d Warm Lake while Lynn ran CCC camps in the 30’s. They returned to Boise for a few years where Lynn worked in the family oil distribution business until Lynn was redeployed with the army in WW II. He oversaw P.O.W. camps in Kentucky, and then California. After the war they returned to Boise where both were active in the community. Lynn was long time head of Ada County Planning and Zoning. They had no children. Lynn died in 1991 in Boise. Josephine moved back to Coeur d’Alene in 1992 to be closer to her niece and nephew, Mary and Sandy Sanderson. She died in 2003.