John Marshall left Michigan in 1885 to travel by train to Spokane, WA He walked from there to the Idaho Territory with prospecting buddy. They hoped to “strike it rich” in Northern Idaho. By 1888 he had gone back to Michigan to marry his school teacher sweetheart, Eva Beck. They were married on Christmas Day 1889. A train brought them back to Idaho and the county seat, Rathdrum. Here they packed their belongings in a sleigh for the ride to Fort Sherman. Eva Beck Marshall was the first of the four generations to teach in the Coeur d’Alene area.
The Marshall’s daughter, Hazel Marshall Cardwell, started her teaching career in a one-room school at Squaw Bay. Later she would teach in Potlatch and Coeur d’Alene. In 1926 she was elected to the position of county Superintendent of Schools. She also served as the first female trustee of North Idaho Junior College.
Hazel and Grover Cardwell were married upon his return from France where he served in the army in World War 1. Their daughter, Betty, continued the tradition of education. She taught five years at Coeur d’Alene High School. After her marriage to Charles McLain, she “retired” and she and “Mac” had four children. Betty continued in the educational field with 23 years at North Idaho College. After “retiring” again, she was elected to the college Board of Trustees where she served nine years. She was honored when one of the college buildings, McLain Hall, was named for her.
“Mac” owned and operated Commercial Printing Co., one of the oldest printing companies in Coeur d’Alene
Of the four McLain children, three are educators. Susan and Patrick live and teach in Oregon and Sarah is the fourth generation with the Coeur d’Alene District. The third daughter, Ellen, is a nurse in