V. Loan Policy (approved December 2005)
A. Library cards
1. Patrons must present a current library card or picture to borrow materials.
2. A Coeur d'Alene Public Library (CIN) card is available to any non-resident who shows a library card from any library (indicating library tax support is paid) who completes the borrower’s registration form and shows one piece of identification which has his or her current address. A photo ID is preferred.
3. Those who don’t qualify for a CIN card must pay an annual non-resident fee of $25.00. The fee is based on averaged property taxes for library services.
4. Children – All patrons under 18 must have a parent or guardian’s signature on their library card application. The library will accept a parent or guardian’s signature as proof of address.
5. Applicants with no current address verification and those at local shelters may be registered at a temporary status and may check out up to two items. They must show a photo ID.
6. The initial library card is free but there is a $1 charge for a replacement cards.
B. Group Library cards
1. Application for a group card must be written on business letterhead, stating that the organization is willing to assume responsibility for fines and damaged or lost items. The letter should also list who is allowed to use the card, and be signed by the individual who will assume financial responsibility.
2. The group card must be kept by the organization and must be presented when materials are borrowed.
3. Group cards will be updated on a yearly basis, verifying address and individual in charge.
4. If the card is lost, another letter from the organization on letterhead will be required. A $1.00 replacement fee will be charged.
C. Loan Periods
1. 25 items may be borrowed at one time on one library card.
2. Most materials (including audio books) - four week (28 days) checkout period with one four week renewal, provided items have not been reserved by another patron.
3. New Fiction, videos and DVDs, music CDs, and Kits – two week checkout period with one two week renewal, provided items have not been reserved by another patron.
4. Phone Renewal – items may be renewed by phone, providing they have not been reserved by another patron.
5. Reference & non-circulating materials do not check out unless prior approval is given by Reference Librarians or Director, in which case, a 24-hour check out is allowed.
D. Fines (approved January 2008)
1. Ten cents per open day per item will be assessed on all overdue circulating items.
2. Fines per item will not exceed $3.00.
3. Maximum fines levied for any one person will be $10.00.
4. Suspension – Borrowing privileges will be suspended when:
(a) Reimbursement has not been received by the Library for any lost or damaged materials.
(b) Materials are overdue.
(c) Accrued or estimated overdue fines have reached $3.00.
E. Interlibrary loan
1. Borrowing Policy
(a) Interlibrary loan is available to any patron presenting a permanent Cooperative Information (CIN) library card who is willing to abide by the ILL policies.
(b) Service is not available to patrons with overdue materials, unpaid fines in excess of $3.00 or replacement fees for lost/damaged materials.
(c) Service is not available to patrons who have a temporary card.
(a) The Library does not charge patrons a processing fee for ILL requests except under the following circumstances:
i. Coeur d’Alene Public Library will make every effort to request items from libraries that do not charge for lending their materials. If a borrower authorizes the Library to obtain material from a supplying library that charges a fee, the borrower is responsible for paying the fee. Item will not be borrowed without prior authorization from the borrower.
ii. If material is borrowed from a library outside the United States, patron will pay in advance all fees required to obtain and return the requested material.
(b) In the event that the patron fails to pick up the materials, any fee required to obtain the material will be applied to the patron’s library card.
(c) Renewal of interlibrary loan materials will be allowed only when approved by ILL staff and the lending library.
3. Overdue/Lost/Damaged ILL
(a) Overdue material will be billed at a rate of 10 cents per day. There is no grace period on interlibrary loan materials.
(b) The library user is responsible for any charges assessed by the lending library for damage to an interlibrary loan item. If an interlibrary loan item is lost, the library user will be responsible for the replacement cost of the item.
4. Lending Policy
(a) Coeur d’Alene Public Library will not lend the following materials through Interlibrary Loan:
i. Reference books, Idaho Room materials except upon individual review by the appropriate Reference Librarians or Library Director and with use limited to a maximum of two weeks. These exceptions would be loaned with the understanding that the material would be for “IN LIBRARY” use only.
ii. Materials are loaned from the Coeur d’Alene Public Library for 4 weeks