For kids who love to build!
Brought to you by Coeur d'Alene Public Library Youth Services
LEGO project contests for age groups 4-13!
- Non-judged Exhibition Category for ages 14 and up!
- Guest speakers
- Building Contests!
- LEGO-themed Refreshments!
Special Theme for 2013: Renewable energy is the theme for LEGO-rama 2013. Projects should reflect the use of alternate energy sources. Design a car, boat, truck, RV, house, factory, etc. reflecting the use of solar, wind, waves, biogas, recycled french fry oil, people power or whatever you can imagine. The design doesn’t have to be a working model, just your concept of how alternative energy can be used to perform a task.
- Original Projects: One entry per participant, please. Entries must be participant-built. (No adult assistance.) Judging will be in age categories of 4-6, 7-10 and 11-13. Entries should be original designs created by the participant rather than just assembled kits created by LEGO (or similar company). Entries must have a footprint (the space occupied on the table) no larger than 15x15 inches. Non-LEGO parts are permitted, but must be building parts that are LEGO-compatible. Winning projects will be displayed at the Library for two weeks, at participants' discretion. Judged projects cannot be motorized or computer enhanced. (See Exhibition Category below) Lights are allowed but participants must provide their own power source (batteries). Participants should have an exhibit card showing: The Entry Title, The Builder’s Name, and the Builder’s Age. Entries should be assembled before being brought to the library.
- Judging: A panel of judges recruited by the LEGO Leader will select the top three winners in each age group. A “People’s Choice” entry will be chosen by the audience. Each participant and audience member will be given one ballot to place in the ballot box. Entries may be brought to the library beginning at 12:30 p.m. Judging and voting will begin at 1:30 p.m. and cease at 2:15 p.m.
- Exhibition Category: Participants 14 years old and up are invited to display their original designs, but will not be included in the judging or voting for prizes. Limited to a 15X15-inch footprint. Motorized and computer-enhanced displays must provide own power supply.
- Building Contests: Participants will reach into the Bucket-O-LEGOs with one hand and will bring out as many LEGO parts as they can hold. Using those parts only (this is one time when sharing with your neighbor is not a good thing) participants will have two (2) minutes to design and build a LEGO project. Winners will be determined by the LEGO Leader and such other judges as he or she can draft.
The goal of LEGO-Rama is to have fun and learn a little about building techniques. For this reason we encourage parents and other adults to allow their children to design and build their contest entries using their own imaginations and skills so participants can compete on an equal footing. Thank you!
Click here to view photos in the Photo Gallery.
- Next >>